District of Innovation
"Creativity is thinking up new things. Innovation is doing new things."
On October 10, 2016, the SMSD Board of Trustees approved a resolution to explore the opportunity for SMSD to become a District of Innovation. The Board passed this resolution based on its:
- Commitment to the success of every student;
- Practice of supporting quality education and innovation for the benefit of students; and
- Embracing the belief that an effective decision-making platform surrounded with freedom will assist in exercising local control over the decision-making process.
HB 1841 was passed during the 84th Texas Legislative Session in Spring 2015 and provides Texas public school districts the opportunity to be designed as Districts of Innovation.
Districts of Innovation may be exempted from a myriad of state statutes and will have:
- greater local control as decision makers over the educational and instructional model for students;
- increased freedom and flexibility as it relates to accountability and state mandates that govern educational programs; and
- a platform to create and think "outside the box".
The District of Innovation (DOI) overview of the proposed timeline is as follows: