The Innovation Opportunity
"Creativity is thinking up new things. Innovation is doing new things."
- Theodore Levitt
On October 10, 2016, the SMSD Board of Trustees approved a resolution to explore the opportunity for SMSD to become a District of Innovation. The Board passed this resolution based on its:
- Commitment to the success of every student;
- Practice of supporting quality education and innovation for the benefit of students; and
- Embracing the belief that an effective decision-making platform surrounded with freedom will assist in exercising local control over the decision-making process.
HB 1841 was passed during the 84th Texas Legislative Session in Spring 2015 and provides Texas public school districts the opportunity to be designed as Districts of Innovation.
Districts of Innovation may be exempted from a myriad of state statutes and will have:
- greater local control as decision makers over the educational and instructional model for students;
- increased freedom and flexibility as it relates to accountability and state mandates that govern educational programs; and
- a platform to create and think "outside the box".
What is the process for becoming a District of Innovation (DOI)?
The District of Innovation (DOI) overview of the proposed timeline is as follows:
|Sept 12, 2016
||SMSD will present a general overview which explains District of Innovation.
|Oct 10, 2016
||The SMSD Board of Trustees will pass a resolution to study the concept and opportunities provided under the District of Innovation legislation (HB1842).
|Nov 14, 2016
|| The SMSD Board of Trustees will hold a public hearing and appoint a District of Innovation committee to develop a Local Innovative Plan.
|Nov 2016-Jan 2017
|| A Local Innovative Plan (LIP) will be developed by the SMSD District of Innovation Committee. This process will include periodic dialogue and feedback between the DOI committee and the Board of Trustees.
|| The SMSD Board of Trustees will vote to notify the Texas Education Agency Commission of its intention to vote on adopting the Local Innovative Plan (LIP).
|| The Local Innovative Plan (LIP) will be posted on the SMSD website for at least 30 days on the District of Innovation webpage.
|| The SMSD Board of Trustees will vote to adopt the final Local Intervention Plan.